Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Tasty Tuesday

Not sure if I have mentioned how much I enjoy my Cooking Light subscription, but ever since my mom bought it for me last year and then again this year, I look forward every month to new recipes.

Last week, I was looking through the Jan/Feb issue for dinner. I wanted something quick, so I tried this one. So glad I did, because it is awesome! I did modify with rotisserie chicken and store bought salsa. Seemed faster and just as tasty, although I bet their salsa is really good too. I would highly recommend getting a smoky salsa if not making theirs.

I couldn't find a picture online, so I took this one out of the magazine to show you how yummy it is (ours was all gone before I could take a pic).


Mexican Chicken Casserole with Charred Tomato Salsa

Salsa:
8 plum tomatoes, halved and seeded
3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
1 small onion, peeled and chopped
1 seeded jalapeno pepper, quartered
Cooking spray
1/3 C chopped fresh cilantro
3 Tbs fresh lime juice
1/8 tsp black pepper

Casserole:
1C chopped onion
1C fresh or frozen corn
1C diced zucchini
1C chopped red bell pepper
3 C shredded cooked chicken
1 Tbs minced garlic
2tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 (10oz) can green chili enchilada sauce
1 (4oz) can chopped green chilis
12 (6 in) corn tortillas
1 C shredded Monterey Jack
1 C crumbled feta cheese

Preheat broiler. To prepare salsa, combine first 4 ingredients on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Broil 20 min or until charred, stirring once. Remove from oven; cool slightly. Place tomato mixture in a food processor; add cilantro, lime juice, and pepper. Process until smooth. Set aside

Preheat oven to 350. To prepare casserole, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Lightly coat pan with cooking spray. Add 1 C onion, corn, zucchini and bell pepper; sauté 6 minutes or until tender. Add chicken and next 5 ingredients ( through green chiles); sauté 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Remove from heat.

Spread 1/2 C salsa over the bottom of a 13x9 in baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange half of tortillas over salsa. Spoon 2C chicken mixture evenly over tortillas. Top with 3/4C salsa. Sprinkle with 1/2 C of cheese. Repeat layers, starting with remaining tortillas and ending with remaining cheeses. Bake 350 for 25 min until bubbly. Yield: 8 servings

Calories: 331. Fat 12.3.

Sorry if there are typos in this, but I had to type it out on my iPad instead of copy paste;)

Enjoy!!




2 comments:

  1. We are having this tonight to watch the Razorbacks but I'm cutting the cheese in about half to cut out some of the fat content. It looks delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing! We are having pork fajitas. I just put a pork tenderloin in the crockpot, added 2 cans Rotel, 1 can seasoned Bush's black beans and homemade taco seasoning. I will chop it up and then we will eat it with heart healthy tortillas, salsa, light sour cream and light cheese.

    ReplyDelete