Friday, December 3, 2010

Friday favorites

For the next few Fridays, I thought it might be fun to post Christmas favorites....

So, this week, here are some of my favorite 'make it yourself' gifts and decorations...

1). This first one is from the famous Ashley Ann. If you do not know her ( in blog land) you are missing out. She is a photographer, mom of four, and comes up with good and original projects. This is one of my favorite things she has made. To be so original and creative is inspiring.http://ashleyannphotography.com/blog/2009/11/21/diy-doily-canvas-bag/


2). Not only would these be easy and cute, they would also be a great way to give gift cards.


http://www.parents.com/holiday/christmas/crafts/handmade-gifts/?page=7

3). A photo wreath...yes please! Fun to tailor to your own decor.


http://www.parents.com/holiday/christmas/crafts/christmas-kid-crafts/?page=14

This has nothing to do with crafts, but it is my favorite quote this week..

"I have found in my own life that I've too often allowed Christmas to "sneak up on me." I've allowed the busyness of purchasing presents and planning travel and participating in Christmas pageants and parties to crowd out a quiet anticipation of the wonder of incarnation. Too many Christmas mornings I've realized that while my presents were wrapped, my heart was completely unprepared to truly take in the Gift."
- Nancy Guthrie

Can't we all relate? Decorating, finding the perfect gifts, baking, and putting it all in a pretty little package pretending we just whipped out the perfect Christmas with little effort. When are we going to get it through our busy little heads, Christmas is about Christ? Not about US! I don't think any of those things are bad, but they are IF they get you in a tizzy and stressed out. This year, I'm putting it all in perspective and getting my heart prepared to celebrate our King! It should be FUN getting ready for Jesus' birthday party!! I'm buying present, baking cookies, wrapping gifts, decorating,and entertaining. But, the minute I start to feel like it's all too much, I'm kicking myself in the booty to remember, that just as God gave us His Son, I'm giving to celebrate Him, not to impress! How's that for honest?;)


With all of that said, Josh and I want to really play up Jesus' birthday in a BIG way with Hadley, so we are not doing Santa 'gasp'. I know all of you moms are thinking that that is what's fun about having kids at Christmas. Josh and I both believed in Santa when we were little, but we decided that it can be just as much fun celebrating Jesus and His birthday. No, I don't think Santa is bad, and of course I don't judge others who do Santa, we are just choosing not to for our family. Out of the ordinary, I know, but if you really stop and think, Christ is the beginning of Christmas and to have to celebrate Santa and/or Jesus is just not a option we want to give Hadley.

Wow, sooo, if you are still with me...go craft, bake and shop!! Enjoy giving to others and celebrating baby Jesus!

If you have any great ideas for making gifts or decorations please share, if anyone is actually reading this;).

Be Blessed!


No comments:

Post a Comment