Sunday, April 17, 2011

Letting go


Well, as many of you know, Josh is on his way to climb Mt. McKinley. I dropped him off at the airport yesterday afternoon. He is in Anchorage until tonight and tomorrow morning they head to base camp. He will be gone for a month at the most or only two weeks if the weather cooperates. I bet you can guess what I'm praying for;).

This climb has been in the works for over a year. Josh has spent numerous hours getting everything ready to go, not just climbing stuff, but business stuff too. Turns out, it's a lot of prep to leave a company that you run with lots of info just stored in the brain;).

When he first told me about his dream to climb the mountain I was so excited for him and to see him fulfill it. What a BIG talker I am! Sure it sounds like an awesome plan, but actually seeing him board the plane..eech. The whole week before I had that pit in my stomach and big lump in my throat. I wanted to burst into tears anytime he talked to me about ANYTHING! The reality really hit me hard, until he left. I know that sounds weird, but let me explain.

The day before he left ( and I realized he hadn't changed his mind), I got to thinking that if he is going to accomplish his goal, I could at least pick something to accomplish for the 30 days he is gone. Then it hit me, why not take this opportunity to fully rely on God? To solely purpose my days to seeking Him, relying on Him, and fully trusting Him. I already put my faith in God, but how much am I holding back? How much more could God revel himself if I was available and open to listen?

Leaving the airport and seeing my best friend get on a plane to do something so dangerous,I knew in that very moment that I no longer can protect him ( superficially), I was letting go of any hold I had and giving it fully to God. I felt this overwhelming peace flood my body. I was trusting God, Josh was trusting God, and God was telling me that He delights in taking care of us. He is all I NEED. The lump in my throat was gone and the pit in my stomach was no longer there. I felt a sense of relief for the first time in awhile.

I'm excited to grow through this experience and to see what God has in store. I want to come through this very short time, knowing I whole heartily gave everything over for God to use. I'm letting go not only of Josh, but of myself!

Now, I'm not at all concerned for his safety. I'm excited to hear about the trip, see the pics, and have my hubby home. Life is so short and I'm glad God gave us each other to experience it together, even if we are far apart. Just another adventure in the books;)

Here are a few pics we took before we drove to the airport...


Yes, my eyes are puffy...I definitely cried;)



I'm standing on Gods word in Philippians 4:4-8 ( common English bible)
--- Be glad in the Lord always! Again I say, be glad! Let your gentleness show in your treatment of all people. The Lord is near. Don't be anxious about anything; rather bring up all of your requests to God in your prayers and petitions, along with giving thanks. Then peace of God that exceeds all understanding will keep your hearts and minds safe in Christ Jesus.


1 comment:

  1. Love you my precious daughter. I awake each morning with Josh (and you) on my mind so before I ever get out of bed you have both been prayed for. Looking forward to hearing updates as you get them. This morning we prayed that Josh will return glorifying God more than ever. Seeing the majesty of God on that mountain will be life changing!!
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete